Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Saturday 27 August 2011

Where am I?

What happens when you have published three novels for teenagers with Faber and Faber? You get very excited for a while and then try to write a fourth. And while you are attempting the fourth, you try some other projects - writing for a younger age group for example - unsuccessfully in that your publisher doesn't want them. Then your editor leaves the company and you feel abandoned.

But there is hope. Your editor has joined another company and calls you about writing something for emerging readers. You give it a go, but it doesn't work out. Woe and double abandonment.

Meanwhile, you carry on with the fourth novel and a year has gone by. Then the news comes that Faber are deleting your books from their list. Suddenly you are out of print. That was 1995.

Two weeks ago, 19 years late, I finished that fourth book - I am quite pleased with it. It is called the Key to Finlac. You are the first to hear the title. This blog will record my journey on the road to being published again...and all the joys and tribulations that go along with writing.

This is my story and the next chapters are entirely in my hands. The future is on the tip of my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment